Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Stony Brook

Today on May 7th, 2012 my Rensizzle group visited SUNY Stony brook.
SUNY Stony brook is located in long island. We all met up at the
school at 8:30; from there we gathered everyone up and took the 7
train to 61st Woodside. At Woodside we caught the LIRR. This commute
was not a straight run, we had to take two LIRR trains at a connecting
station. I never rode on the LIRR in my entire life, today was
definitely a great experience. I didn’t know there were double-decker
trains, for the first time I rode one today. When I got on the
double-decker, I was very excited. I always saw these trains in movies
but never in real life. Both LIRR trains were comfortable, the seats
were roomy and I got to sit next to Alina the entire trip. The commute
to the University was approximately 1.5 hours.
       Prior to visiting SUNY Stony Brook I knew a few things. I was told by
my aunt who lives not too far from the University that it was a SUNY
University with residency on campus. I also knew that the University
considered itself one of the “Ivy League” Universities of the SUNY’s.
At the school, we walked around and saw the Geometry building, the
College of Business, the Earth Space and Science building, the
Humanities building and much more!
       The thing I liked most about the school is that it provides my major
and they are very strong in Math and Sciences, and it’s bike friendly.
I want to study medicine in college so Stony Brook is everything I’ve
been looking for however; there are many things that I do not like
about the school. One thing I don’t like about the school is that it
is very outdated. The majority of the buildings look like they have
been standing for many years and that concerns me. I’d like to be on a
campus that is relatively new. There are a few new buildings in the
process of being built. Another thing that concerns me about the
college is the lack of diversity. I do not like seeing the same race
over and over again.
       I would apply to the school, maybe instead of dorming on campus I
would live at home and commute every day. I don’t like the idea of
commuting but it beats staying


Staller Center for the Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment