Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Barnard College


Barnard college is looking for students that have great potential and have high grades. But not only they look at that they look at most importantly at student’s personality and a person as an individual. They look at a person holistically, they care for how passionate you are for learning and how much emphasis you put in your education. The admission officer for Barnard said that they look for students that could do something for Barnard. The way they would see this is by looking at your writing, your ideas and the activities you have done that has made a change either on your community, the world or your life.
Barnard also looks for students with  great academic scores. This college looks for students in the average between  A- and B+, for the SAT scores you have to have an average of a 670 on each section. However, if you do not meet the academic standard, Barnard gives you an opportunity to apply for the HEOP program. This program is for students with an low income. Barnard knows that there are students that don't have the same opportunities of other students because of their economic struggles to pay for extra help, tutors, classes and etc. So for students with problems with income problems, applying to HEOP will give you a greater chance in getting in Barnard.
If I applied to Barnard I will probably get accepted, but only because the HEOP program. My family has a low income and thats the reason why I do not have many opportunities like other students. Although, this is a problem i have a good GPA, this could help me enter the program. I could also show Barnard what  I am capable of doing and how I am a really hard worker. But in order to really have a opportunity to get into Barnard, I have to work to improve my academic scores. Although I believe my GPA is good, I feel that it could be better. I would also have to work on my SAT scores and to prepare for that I need to practice a lot. I also need to do volunteer work so they could see that what I am good at and so they so see how hard I work to accomplish my goals. If Barnard give me that one opportunity I will not advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment