Thursday, May 10, 2012

Barnard/Columbia University

          Barnard is looking for students who are academically ready to be in college. The college administration is looking for people who are honest and students that they feel they can trust. Personality is something that means a lot to Barnard. They want independent and well educated students that have and maintain a grade point average of about 3.5 and above. Along with your application, the administration asks four questions that determine what kind of person you are and how you feel about certain topics. Barnard also looks for students that are mature and know how to act while class is in session. Barnard has this program called HEOP that helps low income students that are suffering in specific subjects, academically to raise their grades.
          Honestly, if I applied to Barnard today there is a 50 percent chance that I wouldn't be accepted. To be admitted to Barnard you're GPA has to be at least 3.5 and you would have to have a 670 or above on each section of the SAT's. My grade point average is not a 3.5. It's almost there but not yet. Also since I am a sophomore, I haven't had the pleasure to take the Sat's yet. Other than my GPA, I may have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. The school takes personality seriously and I'd say I have a good enough personality to get accepted. I have enough self control not to be destructive during class to both teachers and student. I'd also be very independent and serious about my work in college. I'd stay very focus on my school work.
          Some things that I could do to be able to get admitted into Barnard would be to work harder to increase my grade point average. AP classes in junior and senior year to get more credits. Also sign up for extracurricular activities which look good on my resume and increase my chances of getting accepted. Out of school internships and program would be a good look for college and the internships can also help me out with planning my future and learn about college experiences. In the future I'll study more, maybe hire a tutor and someone to help me with SAT preparation so I can get a high SAT score and that will also increase my chances of getting accepted. Another thing would also be to stop going out so much on weekends and use that time for studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment